Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

THE FASHIONISTA MERCHANT OF VENICE now available at Amazon Kindle Store from East Flatbush University Press for 99 cents


East Flatbush University Press, a division of Dumbo Books of Brooklyn, is happy to announce that THE FASHIONISTA MERCHANT OF VENICE is now available at the Amazon Kindle Store for 99 cents.

As in the print edition, THE FASHIONISTA MERCHANT OF VENICE is a classroom-friendly (even for yeshivas!) version of William Shakespeare's classic play with every occurrence of the word "Jew" replaced by the word "fashionista." Thanks to editor Richard Grayson, the gripping story of Shylock is now both inoffensive and stylish, as in these excerpts from Launcelot Gobbo's Act II soliloquy in which he weighs leaving his employer, who can be more demanding than even Anna Wintour:
Certainly my conscience will serve me to run from
this fashionista my master. The fiend is at mine elbow and
tempts me saying to me 'Gobbo, Launcelot Gobbo, good
Launcelot,' or 'good Gobbo,' or good Launcelot
Gobbo, use your legs, take the start, run away...'Budge,' says
the fiend. 'Budge not,' says my conscience.
'Conscience,' say I, 'you counsel well;' 'Fiend,'
say I, 'you counsel well:' to be ruled by my
conscience, I should stay with the fashionista my master,
who, God bless the mark, is a kind of devil; and, to
run away from the fashionista, I should be ruled by the
fiend, who, saving your reverence, is the devil
himself. Certainly the fashionista is the very devil
incarnal; and, in my conscience, my conscience is
but a kind of hard conscience, to offer to counsel
me to stay with the fashionista. The fiend gives the more
friendly counsel: I will run, fiend; my heels are
at your command; I will run.

While it is not so easy to run in heels, many educators and their students will doubtless be running to the Amazon Kindle Store to buy copies of THE FASHIONISTA MERCHANT OF VENICE.

No comments: